Support for 2.064.2

Iain Buclaw via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jul 13 05:30:11 PDT 2015

On 13 Jul 2015 11:45, "Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d" <
digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> On Sunday, 12 July 2015 at 13:51:46 UTC, Iain Buclaw wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Out of curiosity, how many projects are still supporting D 2.064.2
compiler/runtime?  Granted that this is the version shipped in the current
Debian Stable and  Ubuntu LTS (which will be supported until 2020).

>> I'm both interested in how much willingness, and how much awareness
there are around maintaining versions that are shipped with an OS whose
combined market share potentially make up for 50% of all Linux Servers.

>> Also whether or not anyone actually took on board my announcement last
year.

> I expect that in the vast majority of cases, a library or app written in
D will work with the last version that that was out when it was last
updated, but anything before or after that is questionable. Depending on
which features it uses and which releases we're talking about, it may work
just fine, but even though we're not doing much intentional breakage right
now, we still have enough regressions that I don't know how common it is
for programs to not run into any problems with a new dmd release, and
fixing it for a new release will often break it for previous ones.

> Regardless, with regards to intentional support, I wouldn't expect much
of anyone to be supporting anything more than one release back from the
current release, and if anyone asking a question in D.Learn or on SO or
anything like that, and they're not using the latest release, they'll
generally be told to use the latest release. I think that as a community,
the general assumption is that everyone is using the latest release or git
master and not a release that's nearly two years old.

> Now, maybe we should be functioning differently in that regard, but
enough changes with each release still that I sure wouldn't want to deal
with supporting releases that old. If anything, I'd be inclined to tag
versions of a library for a particular compiler release and tell folks to
use that one if they are using an old compiler and make no attempt to have
the current version of the library work with any release beyond the current
one and maybe one older. If it did work for older versions, great, but I
wouldn't want to put the effort in testing that each time I made an update,
and if we really end up with releases every two months like Martin wants to
do, then even making a library or program work with every release in the
last year would mean testing each release of your library with about 6
different compiler versions, which I sure wouldn't want to be doing.

> - Jonathan M Davis

It need not be every compiler release.  Just releases that are shipped with
GCC is enough to satisfy my requirements.