Support for 2.064.2

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jul 13 11:56:23 PDT 2015

On Monday, 13 July 2015 at 12:30:23 UTC, Iain Buclaw wrote:
> It need not be every compiler release.  Just releases that are
> shipped with GCC is enough to satisfy my requirements.

So, what you're looking for is that folks make sure that their
libraries work with the version of gdc which was released with
gcc? While I think that that's a good goal, I think that the
reality of the matter at this point is that almost no one is
testing their code with gdc (which is one reason why it's all the
more important to properly unify the frontend across all three of
the major compilers). And I expect that very few D library
authors at this point are thinking about long term support. That
sort of thing simply hasn't been the focus of the community as a
whole, and most of the libraries out there are fun projects that
someone did and put out there because they did it and want to be
helpful, but they're likely not thinking about it like a product
that needs to be maintained for folks who are writing long term
projects. Something like vibe.d would likely be an exception, and
from other posts in this thread, even it isn't thinking in terms
of gdc or supporting anything other than the last few releases.

So, I think that to get what you're looking for is going to
require shift of thinking in the D community. And part of that is
really what Andrei has been looking for as he's talked about us
becoming more professional (at least as far as the core devs and
the official stuff goes). So, there's some push in that
direction, but I don't think that it's sunk in all that far yet,
honestly.

One thing that you might consider is creating a wiki page which
discusses the long term support for what gets released with
particular distros and what folks should arguably be targeting if
they want their libraries or programs to really work broadly
rather than as a simple hobby project - e.g. you should target
these releases of dmd, gdc, and ldc, because they're in these
major distros with long term support. Maybe we can come up with
some sort of recommended standard for what serious libraries
should be targeting for support and encourage folks to follow
that. As it stands, I think that most folks simply aren't
thinking about it, and if they had some sort of framework to
follow, they'd be more likely to.

- Jonathan M Davis