Where will D sit in the web service space?

Sebastiaan Koppe via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jul 14 23:57:35 PDT 2015

On Tuesday, 14 July 2015 at 16:25:29 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Tuesday, 14 July 2015 at 15:17:13 UTC, Sebastiaan Koppe
> wrote:
>> On Sunday, 12 July 2015 at 12:14:31 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
>> wrote:
>>> What do you think about the future for D in the web service
>>> space?
>>
>> What about this question: in 5 years from now what would be
>> the reason D failed?
>
> It can't fail as long as Walter is having fun working on the
> compiler. :-)
I meant in web services, not in general.

> A lack of decision making regarding picking an application
> domain that is large enough to sustain an ecosystem of
> libraries, and going 100% for honing the feature set towards
> that domain. "Possible" is not good enough.

I get what you mean about having a focused direction so that any
energy/time spend isn't scattered in all directions. I failed
that in our last startup and we did alot of stuff, but in the end
everything was half-finished.

But I disagree about 'possible not being good enough'. In fact
this property gives D the flexibility too accustom to pretty much
anything.

When I think about Web services and D, I don't think about just
repeating what people do in other languages, but more about
anticipating the future in web services. With my humble knowledge
of the field that would be something with micro services and
containers.

If D can do something cool with that, e.g. a web application
framework where services sit behind a vibe-d web server, and
where they can be easily developed, tested, deployed and upgraded
- with 0 downtime - that would be great. Combine it with a
knowledgeable community and some good practices (e.g. 12factor
apps) and you can have a honey-pot.

I don't think people care as much about the other stuff (gc, etc).