really good talk about the Hotspot VM

Benjamin Thaut via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jul 16 14:04:32 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 16 July 2015 at 17:52:33 UTC, rsw0x wrote:
> On Thursday, 16 July 2015 at 17:30:06 UTC, Benjamin Thaut wrote:
>> This talk is really good and contains a lot of usefull
>> information very densly packed:
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzzABBxo44g
>>
>> [...]
>
> Treating D's GC the same as a managed language running in a
> VM's GC will only end in disappointment.

Why? The only real difference is that a java vm generates the
machine code during runtime while the D compiler generates the
machine code ahead of time. The underlying implementation of the
important GC parts (e.g. pointer discovery, safe points, etc) are
still the same. And if you look for a state of the art GC, they
only exist for VMs. I don't know any other compiled language with
a GC you could compare against.