really good talk about the Hotspot VM

Paulo Pinto via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jul 16 14:17:04 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 16 July 2015 at 21:04:33 UTC, Benjamin Thaut wrote:
> On Thursday, 16 July 2015 at 17:52:33 UTC, rsw0x wrote:
>> On Thursday, 16 July 2015 at 17:30:06 UTC, Benjamin Thaut
>> wrote:
>>> This talk is really good and contains a lot of usefull
>>> information very densly packed:
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzzABBxo44g
>>>
>>> [...]
>>
>> Treating D's GC the same as a managed language running in a
>> VM's GC will only end in disappointment.
>
> Why? The only real difference is that a java vm generates the
> machine code during runtime while the D compiler generates the
> machine code ahead of time. The underlying implementation of
> the important GC parts (e.g. pointer discovery, safe points,
> etc) are still the same. And if you look for a state of the art
> GC, they only exist for VMs.

Not even that, as there are AOT compilers for Java, so VM ==
language runtime.

With the ongoing work on Graal and Substrate, even Oracle might
be supporting AOT on the reference implementation.

For me the best part was he saying nowadays he would just
bootstrap Java, not use C or C++.

> I don't know any other compiled language with a GC you could
> compare against.

.NET? Given that they offer NGEN, MDIL and now .NET Native,
besides JIT.

4.6 is also bringing new GC improvements.

--
Paulo