dmd 2.068, 2.069, 2.0xx Evil Plan going forward

Martin Nowak via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jul 22 05:17:21 PDT 2015

On Monday, 20 July 2015 at 21:10:57 UTC, Martin Nowak wrote:
>> 6. Convert the back end to D as well.
>
> Waste of time IMO, there is nothing to gain here.

- We already have a working C++ backend and can interface that
from ddmd, the other compilers will have to work with a C++
interface anyhow.
   Just translating doesn't improve anything for D users.

- The backend generates pretty bad code, we'll never be able to
catch up with good optimizers. Why should we invest in an
outdated backend?

- Bugs in the backend are among the worst for users and time
consuming to fix. Translating the backend risks to introduce new
bugs.