Rant after trying Rust a bit

Dicebot via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jul 25 08:43:14 PDT 2015

On Saturday, 25 July 2015 at 14:28:31 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 7/25/15 9:35 AM, Dicebot wrote:
>> This is absolutely impractical. I will never even consider
>> such attitude
>> as a solution for production projects. If test coverage can't
>> be
>> verified automatically, it is garbage, period. No one will
>> ever manually
>> verify thousands lines of code after some trivial refactoring
>> just to
>> make sure compiler does its job.
>
> Test coverage shouldn't totter up and down as application code
> is written - it should be established by the unittests. And yes
> one does need to examine coverage output while writing
> unittests.

Does word "refactoring" or "adding new features" ring a bell? In
the first case no one manually checks coverage of all affected
code because simply too much code is affected. Yet it can become
reduced by an accident. In the second case developer is likely to
check coverage for actual functionality he has written - and yet
coverage can become reduced in different (but related) parts of
code because that is how templates work.

You will have a very hard time selling this approach. If official
position of language authors is that one must manually check test
coverage all the time over and over again, pragmatical people
will look into other languages.

> I do agree more automation is better here (as is always). For
> example, if a template is followed by one or more unittests,
> the compiler might issue an error if the unittests don't cover
> the template.

This isn't "better". This is bare minimum for me to call that
functionality effectively testable. Manual approach to testing
doesn't work, I thought everyone has figured that out by 2015. It
works better than no tests at all, sure, but this is not
considered enough anymore.