Points of Failure

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jul 28 15:24:51 PDT 2015

On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 07:30:43PM +0000, Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Tuesday, 28 July 2015 at 19:11:24 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> >http://spot.livejournal.com/308370.html
[...]
> He definitely have some good points, but he has enough in there that a
> _lot_ of people would disagree with on that the list becomes pretty
> useless as an actual metric IMHO. And his scoring system is going to
> put most projects into fail territory _very_ quickly.
[...]

A lot of his points are highly subjective, e.g., I don't see why having
a web viewer for the source control system is so absolutely important
that it's worth 5 points of FAIL. Do people seriously read through
source code on a web viewer (as opposed to, say, git cloning it and
looking at it / building it locally)?!

And the Linux kernel would get +30 points of FAIL, since Linus wrote
git. :-D

And contrary to his insistence on using GNU make, *I* say that projects
that *use* any variant of make ought to get +5 points of FAIL.

Installing into /opt or /usr/local is actually recommended practice
according to various Linux standards (e.g., FHS).

It cracks me up that one of the comments hail this list as "objective
criteria". Hah.

The best way to destroy a cause is to defend it poorly.