Points of Failure

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jul 29 08:18:13 PDT 2015

On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 11:21:00PM +0000, Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Tuesday, 28 July 2015 at 22:55:03 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> >On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 10:41:55PM +0000, Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d
> >wrote:
> >>having a web viewer for the source control system is so >absolutely
> >>important that it's worth 5 points of FAIL. Do >people seriously
> >>read through source code on a web viewer (as >opposed to, say, git
> >>cloning it and looking at it / building >it locally)?!
> >>
> >>Yes, I do it all the time. I'm often interested in just one small
> >>file and don't want to download dozens of megabytes of irrelevant
> >>garbage to get to them.
> >
> >I see. So this is one of those things where I do thing differently
> >from everybody else, I guess?  Man, do I feel old... ;-)
>
> Well, I hate reading the source online too (much easier to just read
> it in gvim and be able to use grep to find stuff across files). So, if
> I'm going to be doing much reading of source, I'm going to download
> it, but at the same time, if I only have to look at one file and not
> look deeply, I'll probably look online rather than figuring out how to
> get the source locally.
[...]

Hmm. I would've thought things couldn't possibly get easier than `git
clone $url; vim $pathname`...

That's one of the nicest thing about git: you aren't bound to a server
and you don't have to setup a ton of stuff just to checkout some random
project that caught your interest. And you can just `rm -rf` the clone
once you're done with it, if you decide that it's not interesting after
all.

What do you get if you drop a piano down a mineshaft? A flat minor.