Rant after trying Rust a bit

Bruno Medeiros via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jul 30 04:45:58 PDT 2015

On 22/07/2015 19:47, simendsjo wrote:
> Long rant ahead - a bit dipsy..
>
> TL;DR: Rust has momentum, manpower and tooling. Tooling matters. Safe
> defaults.  Ergonomics like expressions and deconstructing rocks.

Tooling doesn't just matters. Tooling trumps everything else.

I've skimmed through this discussion and noticed a lot of discussion
about Rust's traits vs. D's template constraints, as well as a few other
minor language features. And while there is value in such discussion -
as it may bring a better understanding or clarity about language design,
or perhaps even a few language or library changes - don't be under the
illusion that ultimately it will make any significant difference in
language adoption, if the tooling quality differs a lot (and it does).

Minor differences, shortcomings even, between languages will only have a
big impact for the kind of people that approach language preference with
an "art appreciator" kind of mentality. An almost platonic/voyeristic
approach. But for people building non-small, real-world projects (the
"engineering" approach), tooling will trump everything else.

Only if the language differences where massive (say between D and Go),
would perhaps tooling not trump language design... but even then, it
would still be a big fight between the two!

--
Bruno Medeiros
https://twitter.com/brunodomedeiros