Rant after trying Rust a bit

Alex Parrill via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jul 30 07:23:32 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 30 July 2015 at 11:46:02 UTC, Bruno Medeiros wrote:

> Tooling doesn't just matters. Tooling trumps everything else.

I don't agree. IMO reducing the need for tools would be a better
solution.

For example, there's no need for a memory checker if you're
writing in Python, but if you're writing in C, you better start
learning how to use Valgrind, and that takes time.

Also there's Javascript's overabundance of tooling, with varying
levels of quality, way too many choices (grunt vs gulp vs ...,
hundreds of transpilers), and incompatibilities (want to use JSX
and TypeScript together? Good luck).

To take it to the extreme, no matter how much tooling you write
for BrainFuck, I doubt anyone will use it.

I think D goes in the right track by embedding things like unit
tests, function contracts, and annotations into the language
itself, even if the implementations could capitalize on them
better than they do now.