Rant after trying Rust a bit

deadalnix via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jul 30 07:39:01 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 30 July 2015 at 14:23:34 UTC, Alex Parrill wrote:
> On Thursday, 30 July 2015 at 11:46:02 UTC, Bruno Medeiros wrote:
>>
>> Tooling doesn't just matters. Tooling trumps everything else.
>

> I don't agree. IMO reducing the need for tools would be a
> better solution.
>
> For example, there's no need for a memory checker if you're
> writing in Python, but if you're writing in C, you better start
> learning how to use Valgrind, and that takes time.
>
> Also there's Javascript's overabundance of tooling, with
> varying levels of quality, way too many choices (grunt vs gulp
> vs ..., hundreds of transpilers), and incompatibilities (want
> to use JSX and TypeScript together? Good luck).
>
> To take it to the extreme, no matter how much tooling you write
> for BrainFuck, I doubt anyone will use it.
>
> I think D goes in the right track by embedding things like unit
> tests, function contracts, and annotations into the language
> itself, even if the implementations could capitalize on them
> better than they do now.

It is not matter of agreeing or not. It is matter of fact.
Language with good tooling work, language with poor tooling do
not.

C++ did lose traction compared to java for a while and only came
back up recently because Moore law is starting to not yield
expected results and tooling dramatically improved.

Tooling is king, and beat language solution most of the time.