D for Game Development

lobo via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jul 30 18:23:35 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 30 July 2015 at 21:27:09 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
> On Thursday, 30 July 2015 at 15:10:59 UTC, Brandon Ragland
> wrote:
>> It's a dog because Java is a dog. But that's not because of
>> the GC.
>>
>> It's not really that bad either, I can open up Minecraft at
>> any time and have it sit in the background quietly using
>> ~800Mb ram and virtually no cpu time.
>>
>> Either your kid has tons of mods in their Minecraft or your
>> computer is a bit dated.
>
> Now compare that kind of resources consumption with any game
> based on Quake III engine. While you are at it, compare the
> graphisms. Still not convinced ? Measure latencies, which are
> critical for most games.

The OP is talking about indie games not AAA blockbusters.

In general D is great for writing indie games, you just need to
be aware that the GC is not the best and use @nogc where
possible. It's not difficult and probably less overhead than
writing the same code in C++.

As for the Java GC, well Minefcraft does very well and has
millions of happy blockheads playing it.

bye,
lobo