Daily downloads in decline

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jun 1 11:11:40 PDT 2015

Per http://erdani.com/d/downloads.daily.png, the 28-day moving average
of daily dmd downloads is in pronounced decline following a peak at the
2.067 release. It is possible that the recent release of Rust 1.0 has
caused that, shifting drive-by experimenters to it.

We need to act on this on multiple fronts.

1. It's a big bummer that nothing has happened with chopping up the
videos over the weekend. Right now DConf is three 6-hour blobs of
unstructured footage. John has warned us he might not have broadband
access to do so during his travels. In retrospect, what we should have
done was to immediately arrange that John gives access to the videos to
someone willing and able to do the postprocessing.

2. It's an equally big bummer that "This Week in D" failed to be there
on Sunday night. I completely understand Adam's overhead, what with his
still traveling and all, but the bottom line is if it's not every Sunday
it's not steady and if it's not steady it's not. Again, in retrospect it
seems we need backup plans for when the protagonist of whatever
important activity is unable to carry it. Who'd like to double Adam on this?

3. We've just had a good conference with solid content, but if our
collective actions are to be interpreted, we did our best to be as
stealth as possible. Please consider writing blogs, articles, tweets,
posts, related to all that stuff. Speakers in particular should consider
converting their good work into articles. Programmer news sites are full
of Rust-related stuff; we must respond in kind with great D content.

All of us who have an interest in D to succeed must understand there is
also a proportional sense of duty. If you can do X and don't, it can be
safely assumed X will just not get done at all. Which means whatever you
can do, please just do it, do it now, and stay with it until it's done.

Thanks,

Andrei