Make dub part of the standard dmd distribution

ketmar via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 2 01:05:43 PDT 2015

On Mon, 01 Jun 2015 11:59:12 +0000, extrawurst wrote:

>> dub as a build tool sux. no need to discuss that, it simply sux.
>
> why do you think it sucks ?

'cause it's not more than a simple script in it's core. it can't do good
conditional builds, it can't track dependencies for generated files or
non-D code, and so on. it's "rdmd with some bells and some features
stripped".

this is fine for simple pure D projects, but for complex projects one
have to use supplement build tool. and if we have *two* build tools in
use, it's logical to remove one that is more tied to the language. and
it's dub.

so while it's ok to use dub to build simple things, it's not a good build
system. my k8jam, while can't do "consolidated" (i.e. non-separate ;-)
builds, can build D code with C/C++ libraries (which are built from
source too), generate files, track dependencies, do 'configure' work,
allows "dlang.require" operators with dependency tracking between
libraries and so on. it can't download libraries, though -- i choose to
not implement that, hoping that dub can fulfill that role.