Uphill

ketmar via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 2 17:02:09 PDT 2015

On Tue, 02 Jun 2015 18:41:20 -0400, Nick Sabalausky wrote:

> On 06/02/2015 09:43 AM, "Ola Fosheim =?UTF-8?B?R3LDuHN0YWQi?=
> <ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com>" wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 2 June 2015 at 13:37:47 UTC, ketmar wrote:
>>> and there was a thing that allows to use real applications without
>>> installing them... java web start! way too ahead of it's time,
>>> though...
>
> And 0install. (Though I admit I haven't checked in on that in a few
> years. But I always wanted to see that, or something like it, succeed.)

that's a different story. 0install is a self-containing bundle with all
libs and so on. you got it, you run it, you use it.

and javaws is a something completely different. it doesn't even download
the whole app at the start -- it can download only the classes it
requires to run right now, downloading the rest on background or when
user activates a feature for the first time.

besides, application is not a bundle, it's more like a browser cache.
javaws can check for updates transparently and update only parts of
application (think about fixing some bug in some classes -- whoa, only
that classes need to be downloaded). and if user didn't use a feature
that requres updated class yet, he doesn't even need to restart the app.

that said, javaws was a great idea -- killed by java and by being too
advanced for it's time.