Attempt to get rid of phobos Makefiles, using reggae

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 4 21:10:52 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 4 June 2015 at 21:50:41 UTC, Atila Neves wrote:
> http://dpaste.dzfl.pl/562f1ddc1aad
>
> This can build the static and dynamic libraries on Linux. I
> then linked to the static version to make sure my programs
> still worked. They did.
>
> For other OSs there'd be some logic to select different files.
> It was a pain figuring out exactly what posix.mak did but at
> least this works. Is this horrible or is this the kind of
> direction we might want to go? Also, why are some Linux files
> not being built on Linux with the current Makefile?
>
> In theory this approach would mean readable build descriptions
> in D, and only one of them for all OSs instead of 3 makefiles.
> Also, never again typing `make clean`.
>
> Once reggae has a binary backend this would mean no dependency
> on make, ninja or tup. Just a D compiler.

Nice, I'm looking forward to the day we can get rid of makefiles
to build the D toolchain, as they're such an anachronism.  Having
the build configured in D itself would be wonderful, :) really
looking forward to using reggae.  Since dmd already requires a
host D compiler to build now, there certainly isn't any problem
with the D dependency.