[website] Fonts Roboto and Roboto Mono

Vladimir Panteleev via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jun 5 15:07:30 PDT 2015

On Friday, 5 June 2015 at 21:46:05 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> Just found these on reddit:
>
> https://www.google.com/fonts/specimen/Roboto
> https://www.google.com/fonts/specimen/Roboto+Mono
>
> I'm thinking to use them instead of Verdana and Lucida Mono
> respectively.

1. Web fonts come with cost of increased page load time and
resource utilization.

2. You can't use a custom (web) font for any content which you
can't ensure contains only glyphs supported by the font. Which
implies that you cannot use it for user-submitted content (forum
and wiki), unless you want some glyphs to be in a different font.
Which implies that if we do use a different font for the website,
the forum may need to use a different, standard font.

Examples:

http://dump.thecybershadow.net/2ef53dfe00fc112e3418913348bebdf0/00000173.png
http://dump.thecybershadow.net/686026fbe38bab61e21631f6fb1f6f64/00000174.png

3. Just because a font looks bad on your machine, doesn't mean it
looks as bad on others. (Conversely, just because a web font
looks good on your machine, doesn't mean it'll look as good on
others.) Fonts are hard.

I'm not sure there is a problem that needs to be fixed here,
especially considering the caveats. In fact:

https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dlang.org/pull/995