Getting Started

Israel via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jun 5 18:03:23 PDT 2015

On Friday, 5 June 2015 at 20:18:59 UTC, tcak wrote:
> I am looking at the main page of dlang.org, and really there is
> no page to warm up a new comer to D language. Sure, there are
> book links, details of language as "D Reference" etc, but those
> are not suitable for a new starting guy.
>
> Showing the features of language with SIMPLE examples in many
> pages could be very useful in my opinion.
>
> I liked rust's example page: http://rustbyexample.com/hello.html
> but it is still not for a new comer. Too much writing is there.
> It should be like "Do those things, and see what value you will
> see.".
>
> Now, as always the question is, "Who is going to prepare
> those?". We need:
>
> 1. A link to example pages on left side of web page.
> 2. 5 simple examples those are written in separate pages.
> 3. Give link to each page for next example.
>
> By the time, people can contribute to there. When there is no
> base, nobody is taking any steps.

Ill be honest, that Getting Started page was my idea.

Its a great start no matter what programming experience youre
going through.
It is supposed to be a simple and proper tutorial which guides
new users/programmers through the most essential parts.

The problem is that we didnt have the time to make it happen. But
ill run down a simple timeline from beginning to end:

-Simple Hello World / simple Compiler usage tutorial
-Variable types / auto (auto needs to be explained because we see
it often)
-Integers/numbers/floats etc...
-Simple number mathematical operators and examples
-some string functions
-some array samples
-some string / array manipulation
-loops
-imports / modules
-Object oriented projects and structure
-io file and path functions

-Extras and Useful functions (This serves as a small tutorial for
extremely useful
functions that we use often)
----Thread.sleep(), etc...

-Dub Tutorial and using third party libraries

-Ahli Cerellis Book for more advanced programming detail,
techniques and schemes