DIP80: phobos additions

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jun 7 18:39:31 PDT 2015

On Monday, 8 June 2015 at 00:05:58 UTC, weaselcat wrote:
> can we discuss the downside of making phobos huge?
>
> I actively avoid adding phobos libs to my projects because it
> bloats my binaries and increases compile times by massive
> amounts.

Andrei has already stated that we are definitely going to make
Phobos large. We are _not_ going for the minimalistic approach,
and pretty much no other language is at this point either. So,
Phobos _will_ continue to grow in size.

Now, as Adam points out, we can should do a better job of making
it so that different pieces of Phobos don't depend on each other
if they don't need to, but it's a given at this point that Phobos
is only going to get larger. And if unnecessary dependencies are
kept to a minimum, then it really shouldn't hurt your compilation
times (and I'm sure that we'll have further compiler improvements
in that area anyway).

- Jonathan M Davis