Asked on Reddit: Which of Rust, D, Go, Nim, and Crystal is the strongest and why?

Abdulhaq via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 11 04:40:54 PDT 2015

> I really wish people would stop complaining about other
> languages having the same features as D without giving credit.
> It is impossible to figure out exactly where ideas from
> features come from, but most features predate even C++ if being
> first is the main point.

Hear, hear, is it so unlikely that one footstep should fall in
the footprint of another?

> The hard part about designing an imperative language is not the
> individual features, the palette is given. The hard part is
> turning it into beautiful whole that is greater than the sum of
> the parts. And that is important, but difficult (or impossible)
> to achieve.

This is it. Great languages (IMO) have condensed their features
down to the smallest set of orthogonal features that they could
manage. This makes the language easier to reason about, to share
code, to maintain code, to learn, to read code, even writing it
is often easier!

Right now I feel that D is growing in 'features' and corner cases
beyond the point where I want to explore it's depths. It's gone
from a swim in the bay into crossing the Channel. I always think
about Herb Sutters Guru of the Week column and how it made me
think "ugh - too many oddities to learn". I could be wrong and I
hope I am.

It's quite a nice twist that the thread discussing which language
is better branched into what version of English is the right one
- as if such a thing is meaningful. Arguing about definitions and
terminology is surely such a useless diversion.