Asked on Reddit: Which of Rust, D, Go, Nim, and Crystal is the strongest and why?

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 11 05:11:47 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 11 June 2015 at 11:40:55 UTC, Abdulhaq wrote:
> Hear, hear, is it so unlikely that one footstep should fall in
> the footprint of another?

We all stand on the shoulders of giants, etc.

> This is it. Great languages (IMO) have condensed their features
> down to the smallest set of orthogonal features that they could
> manage. This makes the language easier to reason about, to
> share code, to maintain code, to learn, to read code, even
> writing it is often easier!
>
> Right now I feel that D is growing in 'features' and corner
> cases beyond the point where I want to explore it's depths.
> It's gone from a swim in the bay into crossing the Channel. I
> always think about Herb Sutters Guru of the Week column and how
> it made me think "ugh - too many oddities to learn". I could be
> wrong and I hope I am.

Aye. I think what I totally dislike about C++ is that I cannot
hold the whole language in my head. It is unthinkable that I
could just type in a C++ program using the full feature set and
compile it with no complaints from the compiler and quite a bit
of head-scratching to figure out why it won't take code that
looks sensible.

Corner cases is a major reason for increased cognitive load. Even
javascript gives me that feeling, caused by the odd weird
non-intuitive flaws that makes such a simple language not so
simple after all.

We'll see what happens when DMD is translated to D and
refactored. Maybe someone creates an experimental D3 from it to
see if it can be made a bit more orthogonal. I think that could
be an important move.

> It's quite a nice twist that the thread discussing which
> language is better branched into what version of English is the
> right one - as if such a thing is meaningful.

As a norwegian I can't make up my mind as to whether I should
write "color" or "colour". I suspect it will be taken as some
kind of political statement. Hey, I am neutral! I use "color" in
source code and "colour" in writing. :)