Daily downloads in decline

QAston via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 11 06:35:23 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 11 June 2015 at 13:16:13 UTC, Dennis Ritchie wrote:
> Yes, it is still strong arguments in favor of Rust. But D has a
> garbage collector and there is no syndrome of angle brackets.
> Unfortunately, I still don't know Rust templates, so nothing to
> say about them.
>
> Do templates Rust is better than D?

It's a matter of taste and I won't advocate for Rust on D forums.
Syntax doesn't bother me at all as long as it's consistent and in
both D and Rust it is.

For me simple templates + simple macros are clearer than
complicated templates + ctfe + mixins. There are tradeoffs there,
with ctfe being an optimization at the expense of build time. On
the other hand dmd is much much faster than the Rust compiler
which doesn't do ctfe.

As for GC vs Lifecycles - there are well known tradeoffs there,
but it's now at least possible to have lifecycle semantics as
safe as GC semantics at the expense of fighting the compiler a
bit.