Daily downloads in decline

Dennis Ritchie via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 11 07:08:55 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 11 June 2015 at 13:35:25 UTC, QAston wrote:
> It's a matter of taste and I won't advocate for Rust on D
> forums.

It is not required. But it would be nice if you could post a
topic in DLearn like this just about Rust :)
http://forum.dlang.org/thread/ujatnyfraqahrmfokcjx@forum.dlang.org

> Syntax doesn't bother me at all as long as it's consistent and
> in both D and Rust it is.

For me, the syntax is very important. I want my code could
understand everything, not just programmers superclass. It's no
secret that many people avoid encounters with Lisp because of its
syntax.

> For me simple templates + simple macros are clearer than
> complicated templates + ctfe + mixins.

Yes, probably, it's hard to disagree.

> There are tradeoffs there, with ctfe being an optimization at
> the expense of build time. On the other hand dmd is much much
> faster than the Rust compiler which doesn't do ctfe.

Yes, but LDC will overtake the Rust compiler and without CTFE. In
addition, the compiler Rust also based on LLVM. So to compare DMD
and Rust compiler does not make sense.