Asked on Reddit: Which of Rust, D, Go, Nim, and Crystal is the strongest and why?

Chris via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jun 12 06:05:35 PDT 2015

On Friday, 12 June 2015 at 11:35:30 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Friday, 12 June 2015 at 11:13:08 UTC, Chris wrote:
>> "-ise". If you have a new generation of Englishmen that were
>> taught "-ize", they would find "-ise" strange. It's ridiculous
>> how people get attached to stuff like this.
>
> I have to admit I use "-ize" over "-ise" because I think it
> visually looks cooler. I always felt I did something wrong by
> mixing "colour" and "-ize", but this thread has finally lifted
> this guilt off my shoulders!
>
> "They" as singular feels weird tho, but maybe it is related to
> the archaic "thou" and "thee"? We had the same in norwegian ~60
> years ago. "De" (they) was used as singular towards strangers
> and "du" (you) was used with people you were familiar with.
> Then you could claim to be "dus" (friendly) with people you
> knew (referring to the fact that you use "du" when adressing
> them). Kinda like german "Sie".

Do you speak Bokmål or Nynorsk?

Here's a nice piece about "Language Mavens". They are quite
common in every country, and invariably they don't have a clue
about how languages and the human mind work:

http://www.sp.uconn.edu/~sih01001/english/fall2007/TheLanguageMavens.pdf