You too can work on D for iOS

Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jun 12 10:25:50 PDT 2015

On 6/12/15 8:47 AM, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
> On Friday, 12 June 2015 at 12:42:37 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>>>
>>> 10x? What sort of pipe dream is that?
>>
>> OK, 2x, 1.5x. I have no frame of reference for what you can make as an
>> iOS developer in your country. Where I live, I can make much more than
>> 10x $160 per month. But if it increases your salary, it's worth
>> investing in, no?
>
> You said 10x salary increase, not 10x return on investment.

I said 10x because your mom's salary was the same as the difference
between Nick's laptop and a Mac mini. What a crazy equation :)

In any case, it's just the $160/month salary I was talking about.

> I won't
> argue with that. But just owning a piece of hardware isn't going to
> *multiply* your existing income.

It definitely increased my income. How much depends on how much your
income was before. If it's > cost of the system, then I would say it's
worth it. I guess I look at things differently.

>>> I guess that explains why so many programs with the same functionality
>>> are freeware on Windows and commercial on OSX. Open-source software
>>> development gives me 0 income, so it'd be a negative net gain.
>>
>> I don't agree with your statement, why would someone charge money on
>> one platform and not on the other? Almost all apps from Apple are free
>> for your Mac. Those that aren't generally have free alternatives.
>
> Last time I looked there was a pretty big difference in the diversity
> and availability of 3rd-party software. Which makes sense considering
> also the much smaller user market share.

I haven't had a problem yet finding software that does what I need in Macos.

>> And I agree, doing open-source freeware development doesn't justify
>> buying a computer of any kind.
>
> What?

The equation is:

salary(currentEquipment) < salary(currentEquipment + newEqupiment) -
costOfNewEquipment

If your salary increase for adding new equipment, whatever it is, is
negative, then the salary increase can't be a justifying factor for
purchasing the new equipment.

> Here's the problem: if I own a PC, I can install Windows, Linux, FreeBSD
> etc. on it with no problems, or I can run any in a VM. I can do neither
> with OS X, I have to buy overpriced hardware from Apple to do that.

Again, if the fact that the hardware is overpriced is a potential
deal-breaker, then it isn't for you. Don't run OSX if you don't want to.
Don't write code for iOS if you don't want to. If you do want to, and
you intend to use it to increase your income, then the "overpriced"
hardware is worth it. That's ALL I'm saying.

On 6/12/15 8:48 AM, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:

 > I regret getting involved in an OS holywar. Sorry, I'm done with this
 > thread.

Well, OK then. I didn't know it was a holy war :)

-Steve