Better forums

Morbid.Obesity via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jun 17 19:13:12 PDT 2015

It seems the forums are picking up a bit with newer people.

I suggest that subforums be used for specific topics or a tag
based system like stack overflow. At some point it will get out
of control and have to be changed... better not wait until that
happens.

E.g., tagging could have stuff like

"Interfacing", "Java", "DLL"

or one can have subforums... tagging is nicer because it allows
easier overlapping of subject matter rather than many independent
sub-forums. (e.g., interfacing and java sub-forums confuse the
issue since the above example actually requires both)

I know that nntp might be an issue, one could possibly use
something like ##interfacing ##Java ##DLL at the end of the
subject of a post that remains compatible but newer software can
keep track of all the posts and allow searching using tags.

Better yet, create some bidirectional middleman between stack
exchange and the D forums/nntp.

e.g., it will keep track and adapt D forum posts into a stack
exchange post and vice versa.

Alternatively, and IMO the best way, simply drop backwards
compatibility with the newsgroups and get out of the dark ages.
If D wants to represent the future it shouldn't use neanderthal
technologies, specially as a form of communication. We do not
communicate in grunts because it is inefficient and there are
better ways(english, for example... or any modern natural
language), and therefor, we shouldn't use nntp as a form of
communication when there are better ways.

[I'm not advocating the full logical conclusion but something a
bit more reasonable than 'living in the dark ages(taking into
account computer years ;) )]