Martin Nowak is officially MIA

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 18 04:24:12 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 18 June 2015 at 07:22:51 UTC, Laeeth Isharc wrote:
> Yes - one gets so used to being able to reach people in the
> modern world, that a short period of disconnect leads to all
> kinds of concerns and doubts.

Yes, it is interesting that new media creates new spaces and new
types of perceived presence. In one way it is cute that people
can worry about lack of presence (in the loving way) and if
people feel they worried for no reason it is easy to get upset. I
think everybody has experienced that one way or another.

On the other hand it basically means that if you don't pick up
your cellphone you end up having to explain what you were doing
at the time. So you have to fight more for your privacy. I
personally find that intrusive.

So it might generally be difficult to get the _best_ person in a
group to volunteer if you need high availability. It would be
better to have a plan with milestones. Then you know which week
participation is critical at least a month ahead.

And really, for a compiler consistent quality is critically
important, so getting more of the few best skilled people to
volunteer is a lot more important than getting many lesser
skilled to volunteer.

The price is to make it enjoyable for skilled people to
volunteer. Whatever it takes.