Workaround for typeid access violation

Etienne via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 18 08:19:16 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 18 June 2015 at 15:09:46 UTC, Wyatt wrote:
> On Wednesday, 17 June 2015 at 22:21:21 UTC, Laeeth Isharc wrote:
>>
>> Do you have any links to reading material on this type of GC?
>>
> This comes to mind, along with the citations:
> http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/people/simonpj/papers/parallel/local-gc.pdf
>
> -Wyatt

That's exactly what we're talking about, but we do the work that
was done by the globalisation policy by using the `new shared`
keyword. We end up with a language that support the very
foundation of what I'd say is the most solid Garbage Collection
model.

"To  summarise  these  results,  it  seems  that
although  the  local  heap  collector  performs  many  fewer
young-
generation collections and fewer synchronisations, the benefits
are
offset  to  some  extent  by  the  extra  work  being  done  by
the  col-
lector to maintain the global-heap invariant. "

"Globalising  the  entire  transitive  closure  was  on  average
93%
slower, and results ranged from 7% faster to 577% slower."

"A garbage collector with local per-processor heaps can outperform
a stop-the-world parallel garbage collector in raw parallel
through-
put, and exhibits more robust performance through having fewer
all-core synchronisations. "