D could catch this wave: web assembly

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 18 16:24:21 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 18 June 2015 at 22:20:25 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
> On Thursday, 18 June 2015 at 22:07:06 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
> wrote:
>> I haven't been able to figure out if it will support a GC?
>
> PNaCl is not meant to be used as such. You do you code in some
> other language and compile it to PNaCl.

Yeah, I know, I meant the whole environment with Pepper.

For WebAssembly to take off it probably has to support languages
like Ruby, Python and others that are used on the server. Guess
they could do debugging using "source maps"...

I think too many people care about IE for PNaCl to take off
without Microsoft support. asm.js had a strategic advantage by
running on all platforms, so browser vendors couldn't avoid
supporting it, either add some optimizations for it or appear
sluggish.