D could catch this wave: web assembly

Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 18 23:30:30 PDT 2015

On 06/19/2015 01:17 AM, "Ola Fosheim =?UTF-8?B?R3LDuHN0YWQi?=
<ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com>" wrote:
> On Friday, 19 June 2015 at 04:18:59 UTC, Joakim wrote:
>> Think about that.  Once you're writing your app in WebGL/webasm, what
>> are you really gaining over just making it a mobile app for
>> iOS/Android, both of which support OpenGL/asm? ;)
>
> 1. You write one app.
>
> - Want asm on Android? Woops, many different configurations.
> - Want asm on iOS? Woops, no more, moving to LLVM.
> - New version of iOS? Gotta update the app to stay fresh.

Seriously? Web is just as bad.

Form factors and web standards compliance both vary wildly, rendering it
"write once, TEST everywhere". That's all the more true if you go all
HTML5, web-as-an-applications-platform.

> 2. Instant access. Direct load from advertisment-link.

If by "instant" you mean "this web 'app' leaves my mobile browser
completely unresponsive for up to a full minute every time I tap a link,
every time I use it".

> 3. No update procedure, no lingering messed up version.

A lot of native apps have seamless updating, too. Ex: The browsers
themselves. And webdevs do occasionally mess up caching.

> 4. No AppStore-related censorship/constraints.
>
> 5. No extra fees.

True (for modern mobile), although that really isn't anything inherent
to "native app", as proven by desktops/laptops and pre-iOS mobiles like
PalmOS. Plus, so called "side-loading" is seriously freaking easy on
Android.

>> Those days are gone.  The dynamic model of HTML5, where pages are not
>> even the organizing principle anymore, means they need to rethink the
>> entire model.  But I see no evidence that anybody is doing so, simply
>> piling more stuff on top.
>
> Polymer, web components.

Exactly. Piling more stuff on top. ;)

http://www.quirksmode.org/blog/archives/2015/05/tools_dont_solv.html