D could catch this wave: web assembly

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 18 22:17:25 PDT 2015

On Friday, 19 June 2015 at 04:18:59 UTC, Joakim wrote:
> Think about that.  Once you're writing your app in
> WebGL/webasm, what are you really gaining over just making it a
> mobile app for iOS/Android, both of which support OpenGL/asm? ;)

1. You write one app.

- Want asm on Android? Woops, many different configurations.
- Want asm on iOS? Woops, no more, moving to LLVM.
- New version of iOS? Gotta update the app to stay fresh.

2. Instant access. Direct load from advertisment-link.

3. No update procedure, no lingering messed up version.

4. No AppStore-related censorship/constraints.

5. No extra fees.

> Those days are gone.  The dynamic model of HTML5, where pages
> are not even the organizing principle anymore, means they need
> to rethink the entire model.  But I see no evidence that
> anybody is doing so, simply piling more stuff on top.

Polymer, web components.

>>> http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/paths.html
>>>
>> SVG has animation, input handling, and an audio API(!) and you
>> take issue with paths?  Weeeeeak. :P
>
> No, I take issue with the text format, especially XML.  That
> was a horrible idea, regardless of how many good features they
> built in.

PDF is text format too. SVG is pretty good actually, but the
integration with HTML5 could be better.