Martin Nowak is officially MIA

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jun 19 09:26:08 PDT 2015

On Friday, 19 June 2015 at 16:02:34 UTC, Martin Nowak wrote:
>> You wouldn't just not go to work for two weeks and then show
>> up at your desk as if nothing happened. This kind of stuff
>> needs some level of planning, barring exceptional events.
>
> Yeah that didn't work too well, sorry for the trouble.
> I was extremely busy before dconf (that's part of why I missed
> my
> flight) and didn't spend much thought on the release. Probably
> didn't
> take it that serious, given how infrequently we handled it
> before.
>
> I was also under the impression that people were informed.
> http://forum.dlang.org/post/5554D763.1080308@dawg.eu

That post says you'd be back on June 7th, whereas Andrei posted
that he couldn't find you on June 17th.  Typo?

> Interestingly this links back to our missing communication
> infrastructure.
> We should have regular (semi-public) meetings involving all core
> contributors to plan development, releases, and everything D.
> Private (irregular) email discussion don't cut it, b/c they
> leave most
> people uninformed. The newsgroup doesn't work either, b/c it's
> too busy
> with daily news.
>
> We pay a lot for the lack of communication (it's key in a more
> hierarchical structure), b/c noone but Walter and you can push
> something on the development agenda without a screaming rant on
> the newsgroup. This is a main reason why so much work gets
> stuck/killed in the pull request stage (who could have
> discussed it before), and also the main reason why we rarely
> collaborate on topics.

All these and your suggestions in the linked thread seem like
worthwhile improvements.  The impression I get is that everyone
in the core team is too busy with their real jobs, other than
Walter, to make meetings easy to coordinate.  Not sure of a ready
solution for that.