Future(s) for D.

Rikki Cattermole via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jun 22 07:38:02 PDT 2015

On 23/06/2015 12:46 a.m., Etienne wrote:
> On Monday, 22 June 2015 at 11:29:50 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
>> On 22/06/15 01:43, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>>
>>> Curiosity, what libraries do you feel a lack of?
>>
>> For work, that would be:
>>
>> * Database drivers for Postgres and SQLite
> https://github.com/etcimon/d2sqlite3
> async with vibe.d :
> https://github.com/pszturmaj/ddb/blob/master/examples/basic.d#L7
>> * ORM
> https://github.com/buggins/hibernated
>> * Unit test framework. I want something like RSpec
> I always got around fine with unittest { } and some imagination
>> * RabbitMQ and ActiveMQ
> C=>D binding and register sockets in libasync?
>> * Some way to interface with Selenium and PhantomJS
>
> You need to write the javascript to a file and use executeShell or
> pipeShell.
> I wanted to write a forward proxy in vibe.d though so that we can
> actually handle the headers/cookies and analyze the contents over the
> wire. I'm not sure if there's a language that does that already
>

>> For non work related things it would also be:
>>
>> * Sass
> https://github.com/Lodin/sassed
>> * CoffeeScript
> https://github.com/MartinNowak/diet-coffee/blob/master/source/diet_coffee.d#L23
>
>> * I would prefer HAML over that templates used in vibe.d but I guess
>> there' close enough
> http://blog.seancarpenter.net/2013/05/24/using-haml-from-the-command-line/
>
> You seem to be active member of the community. Why not attempt to solve
> those? Doesn't seem like it would take that long (all the primitives are
> there).
>
> @rikki > I really do want to fix this. Unfortunately writing everything
> from a an actual webserver to the template live reloading is a lot
> harder then you'd think. Which is unfortunate.
>
> You should have everything you need to write a D version of Wordpress
> using its code as a reference. Maybe with vibe.d, putting the data in
> Redis and using some lua scripting for themes or configuration files. It
> would take some imagination but it's not at all impossible to achieve it.

What can I say? I like doing things 100% or not at all. Design wise atleast.

Oh one more thing, my next web service framework will be using lua for
templates. The only thing not implemented is passing in data models. Its
just even with luad binding D models to it is quite hard. Doable within
a few days if the ORM is ready to go but when you add everything up. Ugh.