D could catch this wave: web assembly

Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 23 09:10:58 PDT 2015

On 06/23/2015 07:09 AM, Joakim wrote:

> But if you have some emotional connection with the term "desktop" and
> can't take the fact that they're being rendered defunct, I can see why
> you'd want to ignore all that and just call the new devices "converged"
> or "desktops." :)

As opposed to someone with an emotional connection with the term
"smartphone" and can't take the fact that what such devices are turning
into is not what they used to be and that they're getting there by
borrowing from an old uncool "outdated" style of computing ;)

>> I've done so already. It's absolutely terrible. At best, it's an
>> occasional replacement for those already-horrid
>> mini-touchscreen-keyboards (which almost anything is better than).
>
> I've been surprised on the few occasions I used google's voice
> translation about how good it was, but I haven't use it much.

It's much better than I expected too, but even still, approx 50% of the
time I use it (50% is NOT an exaggeration here) I end up having to go
back and edit its mistakes. Plus it's laggy because of yet another
problem: It works by sending everything the mic hears straight to
Google. So much for end-to-end encryption/privacy.

And then here's the one that isn't even conceivably fixable by
technological improvements: I've found that oftentimes, dictation is
just isn't a very natural fit for your mental process, even if it does
work flawlesly.

I know that's somewhat vague, because it's difficult to explain. but
I'll put it this way: Dictation is almost like the "waterfall model" of
text entry. Versus a keyboard being more naturally suited to iterative
refinement, and working out how you want to word something. Sure, you
can do that with voice, but it's less natural. (That's actually part of
why I prefer email to telephone calls for business and technical
communications.)