D could catch this wave: web assembly

Abdulhaq via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 23 04:55:19 PDT 2015

On Tuesday, 23 June 2015 at 11:09:31 UTC, Joakim wrote:

> As for a GC, why would webasm need to provide one?  I'd think
> the languages would just be able to compile their own GC to
> webasm, which seems low-level enough.

 From the docs:

  Even before GC support is added to WebAssembly, it is possible
to compile a language's VM to WebAssembly (assuming it's written
in portable C/C++) and this has already been demonstrated (1, 2,
3). However, "compile the VM" strategies increase the size of
distributed code, lose browser devtools integration, can have
cross-language cycle-collection problems and miss optimizations
that require integration with the browser.