Future(s) for D.

Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 23 12:04:49 PDT 2015

On 06/23/2015 02:15 PM, ketmar wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Jun 2015 13:24:14 +0000, Tobias Müller wrote:
>
>> For many programmers, programming is just a job, not more. They don't
>> program in their spare time and are not really interested in programming
>> languages as you are.
>
> that people called "code monkeys", not "programmers". it's simply
> impossible to be a programmer without a passion to learn things. not
> 'cause "well, if i learn XYZ i will be promoted to better job and will
> get more money", but 'cause "hey, that's *interesting*! i may never use
> that in my job (this is usually wrong), but it's so interesting that i
> can't pass it by!"

Even that intrinsic passion in the field itself isn't strictly necessary
to be a good programmer. I know that sounds wrong, but hear me out: All
that's REALLY needed at the bare minimum is the basic integrity to say
"If this is what I'm going to be working on, even if I'm only in it for
the money, then goddammit I'm going to do the best job I can. Because
this is the job I'm being paid to do." But a lot of the "code monkeys"
can't even muster up that much.