New names - 2.068 roundup

Vladimir Panteleev via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 23 15:45:08 PDT 2015

In continuation of the "Naming things" thread, Andrei proposed
the following plan:

[andralex] 1. Collect all names ADDED to Phobos since 2.067
[andralex] these are names that we have ONE shot in eternity to
get right before they’re frozen
[andralex] 2. Lead a community discussion on choosing the most
palatable names
[andralex] 3. We freeze those names in 2.068 and there’s no more
discussion about them

So, here's a diff of sorts of public names between 2.067.1 and
git master:

http://dump.thecybershadow.net/0362443dfcca30860db907e494831b79/names.diff

Created using:
https://gist.github.com/CyberShadow/e088c1f2bbfc24f2bbba

As we can potentially argue forever about names, I would like to
propose the following plan of action:

1. Establish a list of names that have to be changed. (If there's
no consensus on a particular name, the name stays.)

2. Choose new names. If there's no consensus, I'll pick a name
from the suggested ones, focusing on consistency. (Not entirely
happy about this, but I think it's the lesser evil.)

3. Change the names, with 2.068.0 RC1 being the deadline. I'll
create and will be updating a PR after the first beta, and ask
the release manager to merge it before the RC release.

A rename can be proposed by creating a subthread: reply to this
post, but change the name to the fully-qualified name of the
identifier you'd like to see renamed. Please include a rationale
and a proposed new name in your post. I'll start.

Sounds good?