Future(s) for D.

Martin DraĊĦar via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jun 24 06:04:03 PDT 2015

Dne 24.6.2015 v 14:15 Chris via Digitalmars-d napsal(a):
> Sure, this smells like a job description tailor made for someone they
> already have in mind. However, I wonder what "experience" means. "Yeah,
> I've played around with Java and C++" or "I'm really into the two
> languages and know them very well". People who do research for their PhD
> in computational linguistics are often _familiar_ with programming
> languages but not necessarily to a degree that allows them to write real
> world production code, because it is very hard to excel in programming,
> data algorithms, NLP and academic research (literature review, writing
> the PhD) at the same time.

If you let researchers write production code, you are asking for
troubles. And that comes from someone who is doing research, is a
programming enthusiast and had programming as a day job for some time.

If I made such job add, the most important for me would be the ML
experience and publication skills. This is something you can't teach in
a short time. As for the rest of it - it would be good enough that the
candidates would not hurt themselves while using those tools and
languages. At least there will be less unlearning to do...

Martin