New names - 2.068 roundup

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 25 11:15:55 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 25 June 2015 at 18:04:49 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
wrote:
> I don't know what the right name is, but I think it should be
> singular at least.

Part of the core problem is that it can be used for either
parameters or arguments - or it can simply be used in certain
places as a compile-time entity separately from functions are
templates (e.g. foreach). So, names like ParamList or ArgList
come to mind, but they all have the problem of covering only one
of the cases (just like TypeTuple has the problem of only
covering the case where it has types in it when in fact it can
have values in it as well as containing both at the same time). I
don't think that I've ever seen a _good_ name for what TypeTuple
represents. I really wish that we'd stop using the word tuple in
regards to them though, since they _aren't_ tuples. But
unfortunately, that's how the language spec refers to them...

IIRC, Adam Ruppe defined them as being a CTList in his dconf talk
(presumably for compile-time list). That seems like one of the
better names that I've seen, and I'd certainly be up for that.

- Jonathan M Davis