Presentation Intro to D: What works?

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 25 18:28:28 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 25 June 2015 at 12:39:11 UTC, qznc wrote:
> Looks like I will give a talk about D to our local Functional
> Programming User Group in August. Feel free to join, if you can
> be in Karlsruhe, Germany:
>
> http://www.meetup.com/de/The-Karlsruhe-Functional-Programmers-Meetup-Group/events/223455553/
>
> As far as I know, pretty much nobody there knows anything about
> D. So I need to start with some general introduction. My
> current plan is to basically talk through the dlang.org
> frontpage. Modern convenience. Modeling power. Native
> efficiency.

What specifically do you plan to mention for each?

> I guess others here have done such intros already. What works?
> What doesn't? What are the usually questions you get from
> newbies? Any evangelism tips?

Never done an intro but watched several and have been thinking
about doing an intro talk locally myself.  One thing I don't
often see in intros that I was thinking about adding is who is
behind the language?  Do a small bio of Walter with his C++
compiler background and Andrei with his modern C++ design
background.  That will help orient the newbie on where the
language comes from.