What D Needs…

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jun 26 02:11:51 PDT 2015

On Mon, 2015-06-22 at 02:40 +0000, Laeeth Isharc via Digitalmars-d
wrote:

[…]
> I agree about NumPy and Pandas - the foundations are not so hard
> to replicate (but better!)  John Colvin and Ilya seem to be
> working on this now (and Vlad Levenfeld's stuff too).

I'll see if I can check this out.

> I don't know about matplotlib.  It's pretty easy to use D to
> chart using it, but I didn't find it the friendliest library for
> what I wanted to do.  And bokeh is nice for interactivity (which
> is easy to talk to via python, but wouldn't be hard to write a D
> wrapper for - something I made a start on - since it is only
> object representation, and no real hard work on the server side).

Bokeh is also getting traction in the data science world, but
matplotlib remains the major player.

> Is matplotlib better than mathgl?  (I don't have enough
> experience of either to have a view).

I haven't tried mathgl. It is now on my agenda.

> But D is a language usable in Jupyter - I have been playing with
> it for a few days now.  Main thing missing for it to be very
> usable is seeing the compiler output in a pretty manner (well,
> actually just making it visible, would be a start) and making a
> nice way to be able to use dub with PyD/PyDmagic.

I wonder if Buck is a better route. Facebook use this and it has D
support.

I suspect anything to do with PyD will have to go via setuptools.

> If you review std.parallelism, would it be worth adding
> fork/processes there as seems like for some purposes that may be
> better than threading?

I think I may not be doing that review now as I have started on trying
to get Chapel working well with Python 3. C++, D, Rust, Go are
millennia behind Chapel in terms of managing local and cluster
parallelism: Chapel is a PGAS language so handles clusters of muli
-multicore processors in a single program.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk