End of life for Windows Server 2003 R2 is July 14, 2015

Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jun 26 09:21:54 PDT 2015

On 06/26/2015 07:26 AM, weaselcat wrote:

> Might as well just use wine, it's pretty darn good nowadays.

Relatively speaking. I'm definitely glad to have it, but I still have
occasional problems with it, with various programs. For example, I had
to give up my favorite code editor because of problems under wine. And
wine isn't gonna help at all with stuff like TortoiseGit or Hard Disk
Sentinel.

And then a lot of windows stuff needs to be run under mono rather than
wine, and mono has occasional problems, too. GitExtensions, for example,
absolutely loves to crash (and integrates with the system GUI even more
badly than wine). Although I admit I don't know if GitExtensions's
crashiness is due to mono's implementation of winforms, or just
GitExtensions itself, since I haven't tried it within windows.