Standard GUI framework inspired by Qt

Kapps via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Mar 5 07:10:22 PST 2015

On Thursday, 5 March 2015 at 11:20:28 UTC, Rikki Cattermole wrote:
> On 5/03/2015 8:58 p.m., ketmar wrote:
>> On Thu, 05 Mar 2015 08:40:36 +0100, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
>>
>>> Everyone is constantly forgetting about OS X :(.
>>
>> i'm not forget about it, i'm simply ignoring it, along with
>> windows.
>> strictly speaking, along with anything that is not X11. ;-)
>>
>> but in this case i'm sure that if there will be win32 and X11
>> backends,
>> porting to quartz (or OpenGL, or SDL...) will be much easier,
>> as most
>> backend-dependent features will be abstracted away.
>
> Ugh X11 on OSX isn't as easy as it sounds. Especially for
> OpenGL usage.
>
> I know, I had to modify Derelict-GL3 to do it...
>
> Either way just writing the damn window implementation in obj-c
> is far easier.

I don't think a GUI library should ever be using X11 on OSX. Not
only does it have issues like forcing you to download XQuartz
manually and not being officially supported by Apple anymore, but
more importantly, it doesn't support high DPI. High DPI support
is crucial for any new GUI libraries, as more and more laptops
and monitors are switching to high res screens (and Macs in
particular are very quickly switching towards a retina focus).