Standard GUI framework inspired by Qt

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Mar 6 01:09:41 PST 2015

On Tuesday, 3 March 2015 at 18:43:50 UTC, Aram wrote:
> I've been thinking over a GUI framework for D for some time,
> and ended up with idea expressed by Andrew Fedoniouk here:
> http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/digitalmars/D/32633.html.
> That is, having a separate drawing layer, and widgets built on
> top of it. But since it has already been discussed 9 years ago,
> I wonder if such a framework has ever been implemented.

The only reasonable approaches these days are either:

1. A thin native wrapper that is specific for each platform with
near full mapping to native GUI features.

2. A HTML5 render engine with a convenient marshalling system.

3. A very efficient OpenGL based composite engine that do 60hz
redraws and that can be integrated in a fullscreen OpenGL
app/game. This is really the best approach now that mainstream
GPUs can do 60hz refresh without hickups. But it is not easy to
get right.

Anything less that that will only end up with something that is
done better by existing cross platform frameworks, and they
aren't great due to deliberate incompatibilities between native
GUI systems. Qt, Gtk etc does not provide great UI experiences
imho. They are incapable of keeping up with developments on the
OS platforms and are going to die a slow death...