Targeting Vulkan and SPIR-V

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Mar 7 00:41:25 PST 2015

On Saturday, 7 March 2015 at 07:44:18 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> It is not clear how quickly Vulkan compliant hardware will
> appear, a lot

It already exits. Even PowerVR has an (experimental)
implementation already...

> Also, of course, there is the huge problem of moving the AAA
> games world
> over to all this.

Not really, since it is a lot like Mantle...

Vulkan isn't particularly innovative, it is a trip back in time
where you have to target the hardware and not the API.
Manufacturers like it because there is no point in having high
powered GPUs if the applications are  CPU bound and Vulkan get's
around that.

But not having an abstraction over the hardware means that devs
will suffer, do manual memory management on the GPU, write their
own mipmap format routines etc. And you bet the vendors will add
all kinds of extensions to it to stay competitive and we will end
up with a mess.