Targeting Vulkan and SPIR-V

Paulo Pinto via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Mar 7 01:05:01 PST 2015

On Saturday, 7 March 2015 at 08:41:26 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Saturday, 7 March 2015 at 07:44:18 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
>> It is not clear how quickly Vulkan compliant hardware will
>> appear, a lot
>
> It already exits. Even PowerVR has an (experimental)
> implementation already...
>
>> Also, of course, there is the huge problem of moving the AAA
>> games world
>> over to all this.
>
> Not really, since it is a lot like Mantle...
>
> Vulkan isn't particularly innovative, it is a trip back in time
> where you have to target the hardware and not the API.
> Manufacturers like it because there is no point in having high
> powered GPUs if the applications are  CPU bound and Vulkan
> get's around that.
>
> But not having an abstraction over the hardware means that devs
> will suffer, do manual memory management on the GPU, write
> their own mipmap format routines etc. And you bet the vendors
> will add all kinds of extensions to it to stay competitive and
> we will end up with a mess.

I saw a comment in a random forum entry that I cannot recall,
that stated an Hello World (triangle) is around 800 lines of C
code.

Of course, this doesn't matter when using engines, which every
sane developer should do anyway.

Any applications coded straight to graphics APIs ends up being a
use case specific mini engine.

--
Paulo