[OT] HTML: div/iframe hybrid?

Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Mar 9 12:23:11 PDT 2015

On 03/08/2015 04:31 AM, "Ola Fosheim =?UTF-8?B?R3LDuHN0YWQi?=
<ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com>" wrote:
> On Saturday, 7 March 2015 at 17:01:14 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> I haven't looked at the details, but "HTML Imports" sounds like
>> something that might have been able to fit that, but according to that
>> page, not only do Safari and IE not support them, but apparently
>> Firefox is INTENTIONALLY not doing them because (if I understand this
>> "polyfill" thing right) it seems Mozilla deliberately wants to force
>> basic things like that to always rely on JS.
>
> No, I think they just want to make sure it is the right way to do it
> before it is implemented.
>
> The polyfill webcomponents-lite.js should give HTML import and templates
> for IE11+:
>
> https://github.com/WebComponents/webcomponentsjs#browser-support

Well, the problem with polyfill is that it defeats the whole point.
Pretty much anything can *already* be done via cross-browser JS libs.
But some things have no justification for requiring ANY of the bloat or
bother of JS - hence "a href", ":hover", seamless iframes, html imports,
and many other examples. So polyfill accomplishes nothing - it's little
more than a new name for what we've ALWAYS had: over-reliance on JS libs
for basic, basic functionality.