DIP75 - Release Process

Anon via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Mar 11 09:27:55 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 11 March 2015 at 07:19:57 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev
wrote:
> What is indubitably, actually, very important, and something
> I'm surprised you haven't pushed for since long ago, is making
> it EASY to get more things. Dub absolutely must be a part of D,
> and not today but one or more years ago. There is now a rift in
> this community, between people who use code.dlang.org and its
> packages, and those who do not.

And those of us who don't use dub are *not* going to magically
start using dub just because it is bundled with dmd. I don't use
dub because it doesn't benefit me in any way, and really only
gets in my way.

> Coming from a language with a package manager, and then trying
> to build a project with a dozen dependencies by manually
> cloning the repositories and making sure they are the correct
> version, is madness. A package manager encourages people to
> build many small reusable components, because the overhead of
> managing each component becomes very small, and this is
> something we really want.

And any package manager that only operates in source, demands
a central repository (that effectively just redirects to the
actual Git repos), and only works for one language is utterly
worthless for real world projects.

Not to mention, putting extra tools like dustmite and dub in dmd
will only ever benefit dmd users, not those of us who use ldc or
gdc.

Ignoring that for a moment, where does it stop? Do we include an
editor? [sarcasm] Why not? Every D developer needs to edit their
code! Let's go ahead and call Eclipse+DDT the "standard" D editor,
and bundle that with dmd. [/sarcasm]