DIP75 - Release Process

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Mar 11 09:35:21 PDT 2015

On 3/11/15 9:27 AM, Anon wrote:
> On Wednesday, 11 March 2015 at 07:19:57 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
>> What is indubitably, actually, very important, and something I'm
>> surprised you haven't pushed for since long ago, is making it EASY to
>> get more things. Dub absolutely must be a part of D, and not today but
>> one or more years ago. There is now a rift in this community, between
>> people who use code.dlang.org and its packages, and those who do not.
>
> And those of us who don't use dub are *not* going to magically
> start using dub just because it is bundled with dmd. I don't use
> dub because it doesn't benefit me in any way, and really only
> gets in my way.

That's fine. The thing about tooling is it can be ignored if found
unnecessary. The trick is providing tooling that works well for a
majority of users and that the other tools may assume they exist.

>> Coming from a language with a package manager, and then trying to
>> build a project with a dozen dependencies by manually cloning the
>> repositories and making sure they are the correct version, is madness.
>> A package manager encourages people to build many small reusable
>> components, because the overhead of managing each component becomes
>> very small, and this is something we really want.
>
> And any package manager that only operates in source, demands
> a central repository (that effectively just redirects to the
> actual Git repos), and only works for one language is utterly
> worthless for real world projects.
>
> Not to mention, putting extra tools like dustmite and dub in dmd
> will only ever benefit dmd users, not those of us who use ldc or
> gdc.

That's entirely reasonable. Each distribution has the freedom to bundle
whichever tools it finds fit.

I would agree it would be bad if dustmite and dub were locked-in to only
work with dmd. Is that the case?

> Ignoring that for a moment, where does it stop? Do we include an
> editor? [sarcasm] Why not? Every D developer needs to edit their
> code! Let's go ahead and call Eclipse+DDT the "standard" D editor,
> and bundle that with dmd. [/sarcasm]

Probably "where does it stop" is a good question to ask later.

Andrei